
Standing at the corner of Union and King streets and originally fronting on the river, this large, imposing structure is really three buildings. Constructed on a swampy area that was filled in by Colonel John Fitzgerald, it was described in an 1801 advertisement as “three brick warehouses, twenty-four feet four inches in front, and three stores high … a Sail Loft above the upper story seventy-three feet in length, and forty-two feet wide upon the floor … all under one roof.”